skip to content

What is it and how to obtain the EU Blue Card?

If you are a foreigner and you would like to work in Spain or in a European country, you have the possibility to do so through the EU Blue Card! If you want to know what this authorization consists of and what are the requirements to make your application, continue reading our article to find out!

What is the EU Blue Card?

The EU Blue Card, also known as Blue Card, is a work permit that allows highly qualified foreigners to enter and reside in European Union countries on a temporary work basis.

This card was created with the intention of attracting qualified talent to Europe; it is valid in 25 of the 27 EU member states, with the exception of Denmark and Ireland.

It is also considered an opportunity for doctors, researchers or computer scientists who need to move around Europe for work purposes.


You may also be interested in: Profitable business in Spain 2022


What is considered a highly skilled worker?

Now, who is considered a highly qualified worker in Europe, you may ask? Well, it is a person who has completed at least three years of higher education. Not to mention, he or she must also pass the level of qualification required to be able to practice his or her profession or advanced research program.

On the other hand, it is important to grant the qualifications obtained during the educational period completed; thus guaranteeing diverse knowledge necessary to be able to fulfill a job with a high level of training.

Finally, the employee must have sufficient professional experience and must have worked in the sector for at least five years.

Requirements to apply for the EU Blue Card

In 2009 the European Council introduced the EU Blue Card, and in May last year the directive updated the program to make the requirements for applying for this permit easier to meet, and to boost the main goal: attracting international talent.

In this regard, the following aspects must be fulfilled in order to be granted the EU Blue Card:

How can you apply?

The first thing you should know is that the procedure starts with the employer who wishes to hire a non-EU citizen.

In this regard, the employer must submit the application for initial authorization of residence and highly qualified work, either personally or through a legal representative.

Thus, the body to which you must submit the application will be the Aliens Office of the province, before which the work activity is to be carried out.

In addition, employers located in Spanish territory are required to submit the EU Blue Card application for their future employees to the Large Companies and Strategic Collectives Unit (UGE).

Subsequently, as a worker, you will be responsible for processing your visa in your country of origin (if you are there) in order to gain access to European territory.


You may also be interested in: Can a foreigner drive in Spain?


How long does the process take?

Once you have submitted your application and are in the processing process, the competent authorities will have an estimated 45 days to process your case and issue your Blue Card.

Therefore, the notification of the resolution of your procedure will be notified to both the employer or its legal representative and the foreign worker involved.

Visa application

After the employer has obtained a favorable response to hire a highly qualified foreigner, the worker must go to the consulate to apply for a visa to enter Spain or the destination country.

Therefore, you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Valid passport and 2 photographs of the applicant

  • Printed and completed visa application

  • Favorable resolution by the employer

  • Medical certificate

  • Certificate of criminal record

  • Payment of the corresponding fee

Once all the requested documentation has been processed, the estimated resolution time will be 72 hours, at which time the visa will be stamped in the applicant’s passport, so that he/she can legally enter Spain.

Remember that, by possessing your EU Blue Card, you will not only be allowed to enter Spain to work and reside in accordance with the law, but you will also be able to move without any inconvenience within the member countries of the European Union.

How long is the EU Blue Card valid?

A Blue Card will be valid for 1 to 4 years, depending on the issuing country.

In the case of Spain, specifically, the initial residence and work authorization for highly qualified professionals is stipulated for a maximum period of 1 year. In countries such as France and Germany, the Blue Card is valid for 4 years.

However, there is no need to worry, as there is a possibility to apply for renewal of the EU Blue Card during the 60 calendar days prior to its expiration date.

In this sense, it is understood that submitting the application for renewal in the duration of the permit will allow to extend the validity of the existing blue card until the resolution of the procedure.


You may also be interested in: Spain’s economic situation in 2022


If you want to start this or any other immigration procedure in Spain and you have doubts about it, our experts at TAS Consultancy will advise you on every step you need. Call now at +34 93 737 75 25 to contact our team and get your first free consultation!

Find here

The content you need

to set up your business in Spain.

¿What did you think of this content?

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Your email address will not be published .

Required fields are marked with *


Inline Feedbacks
View all comments